Sunday, November 8, 2009

Happy Birthday Leif Garrett


The Melvins are, in my opinion, one of the greatest "hard rock" bands out there (or whatever label they could be given). Although they might not consider themselves grunge, they have a lot of street cred for playing a huge part in the grunge scene, largely because Kurt Cobain went to high school with them, was basically their roadie, wanted nothing more than to join the band, and cited them as a huge influence when Nirvana started to become a household name. That might be the closest brush the Melvins ever got to any real fame or stardom. They've always fallen just a bit under the radar, and probably always will. I'm sure they like it fine that way. I know I do.

Anyway, one of my favorite stunts or "artistic statements" the Melvins ever made was recording a faithful cover of the tired, overplayed "Smells Like Teen Spirit", getting Leif Garrett, a has-been 1970s pop idol, on vocals.

No comments: